[updated] 8 Best Tips For Pets Safe At Halloween 2019

[updated] 8 Best Tips For Pets Safe At Halloween 2019

Halloween is a fun festival for children and families in many countries around the world. Halloween can be a spooky, silly time of year, but it might not seem like so much fun to your four-legged family members. This article will show you 8 tips to keep your pets safe this Halloween.

Do not allow your pet eating Halloween candies

halloween candies

All forms of chocolate—especially baking or dark chocolate—can be dangerous, even lethal, for dogs and cats. That will make your pets having symptoms of chocolate poisoning including vomiting, diarrhea, rapid breathing, increased heart rate, and seizures. Halloween candies containing the artificial sweetener xylitol can also be poisonous to dogs. Eating Xylitol can cause a sudden drop in blood sugar and subsequent loss of coordination and seizures, liver failure in dogs, even if they don’t develop symptoms. It was previously assumed that xylitol wasn’t toxic to cats but it’s better to be safe than sorry.

Keep your pet indoor on Halloween

cat Halloween

Cruel tricks used to tease, injure, steal and even kill pets on Halloween night. The black cat is a classic Halloween symbol so the black cats are especially at risk from pranks or other related incidents. To protect your pets, make sure your pet, especially your black cat is safely kept indoors during Halloween.

Keep pets away from doors

dog safe on Halloween

During Halloween, your door will be constantly visited by strangers. Strangers will be on your doorstep with unusual clothes that will scare your pet, which may scare them away. Putting your dog or cat in a safe room away from the front door will reduce stress and prevent them from jumping out at night, which is the night where you don’t want to look for something outside.

Keep glow sticks away from pets

glow stick halloween

While glowing sticks can help people stay safe on Halloween night. Make sure your pet does not chew them. Fortunately, the liquid inside the glow stick is non-toxic, so it won’t really make the pet sick. A pet that sticks to the glow stick can drool, hold it in the mouth, become agitated, and sometimes even vomit. If your pet chews a glow stick, provide some soft drink or a small meal to help remove the ingredients from the mouth.

Do not allow your pet to eat pumpkin plants

pumpkin Halloween

Although small amounts of corn and pumpkins can be safely fed to many pets, eating moldy pumpkins can be harmful to pets. Symptoms are gastrointestinal discomfort and intestinal obstruction may occur if large pieces are swallowed. Some molds produce mycotoxins that can cause neurological problems in dogs and cats. So keep pumpkins and corn stalks away from your pets.

Keep electric Halloween decorations and batteries away from your pets

Halloween decorations

Pets chewing on the cord may get an electric shock or be life-threatening. Batteries may cause chemical burns when chewing open or obstructing the gastrointestinal tract if swallowed. Glass or plastic fragments can cause a tear anywhere on the body or, if swallowed, in the digestive tract.

Only wear Halloween costumes for your pets when you know they like it

pet Halloween costumes

If you buy your pet Halloween costume, make sure it is not dangerous or annoying to your pet. Clothing should not restrict movement, hearing, vision or breathing.

Using pet ID

ID pet

If your dog or cat should escape and get lost, getting proper identification will increase the chance they will be returned. Collars and ID pet tags are ideal for someone to return if they come across your pet.

Read more





    Leave Your Comment

    Your email address will not be published.*